Tuesday, February 12, 2008

A Sober Sunday



I spent much of Sunday afternoon--normally a prime post-workout drinking time--standing in line freezing my ass off while waiting to caucus for Obama. I wasn't alone. I'd read in paper that the caucus was at Portland High School and foolishly thought we'd get to go inside the school (we did, but only after a couple of hours). I wore a light jacket and no hat, the snow storm was uncomfortable. Once inside though it was an Obama storm! A landslide. Hope lives!

Back to beer:

I've really been enjoying the Shipyard Brewer's Choice: Royal IPA. My only complaint is that it is too balanced. I really like the taste of hops and the hops flavor gets a little lost in the other wonderful tastes in this beer.

I sampled a couple of these at Flask, a relatively new sports bar on Spring Street last night, before heading home to sample a couple more. Flask is at the site of the longtime gay bar (had several names through the years) between Katahdin and Miyake. Maybe it's still a gay bar, although there was at least one woman among the 15 or so patrons when I left, in advance of a meatball tasting contest. They have a nice (although limited) selection of local brews on tap. I didn't sample the food. The place has a nice local tavern feel but I found the odor of fryolator a little off-putting (although authentic).

What is Portland's best session beer? Two candidates immediately come to mind: Old Thumper and Geary's Pale. I believe I will explore this topic thoroughly once I polish off the last of the Royal IPA I have on hand.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I thought about going to the caucus, but voted for Celtics/Spurs at home with a couple Harps (no Loc-Ale-vore I).
Thanks for the tip about Flask. I remember going to that place when it was a bottle club circa 1977. Maybe just in case of gay clientele I'll bring a wingwoman.
I have to believe Gritty's Best Bitter would draw significant support as Portland's best session beer, though I, of course, am Gearys all the way, even though Old Thumper tastes especially good when you drink it at the Peaks Island Inn.