Saturday, February 23, 2008

The Shopping Mall


I stopped by the Shopping Mall with some friends after work one day this week in search of a beer bargain. We found one: 22 ounce draft beers at the Sebago Brew Pub. The brew pub is actually not in the mall, it's a stone's throw from the Sports of Authority, hard by the Chuck E Cheesewiz Factory. The Shopping Mall is not one of my favorite places. But I am a sucker for hops. I drank a Frye's Leap IPA and quite enjoyed it. One member of our group drank something called Mich Ultra and tried to claim it was beer. It came in a beer like bottle but looked nothing like beer when poured into a glass. I looked it up later, and found it defined here.

The best news is that Sebago Brew Pub has a downtown location, diagnolly across Middle Street from Post Office Park. The $3, 22 ounce draft deal is also available there. It seems likely that I'll have many an occasion to mail a letter after work and while there, do what comes naturally--pop in for a pint. Except it's not a pint, it's bigger.

To keep track of the beer deals in Portland, check out this link, which was provided by loyal reader Snoop Dog: bargains

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Can you even mail a letter in Post Office Park?
How many mailboxes and post offices would you have to go past between your workplace and the friendly confines of Sebago Brewing?
I went by Gritty's Freeport the other day, and they had a chalkboard out by the road touting a price similar to what you've reported for Sebago.

Snoop Dog said...

It was such an honor to have the Beer Locavore take some time out of the 2nd shift of his busy day job and join us for a few beverages (all in the name of testing and research, of course). I would compare it to having Eric Clapton sit it on a local band jam session, Manny Ramirez filling in on the corporate softball team, or sharing a HGH syringe with Roger Clemens. Always great to have a master of his craft join you and share his expertise and words of wisdom (at least up through the first two beverages).

Pete said...

Although I'd be happy with a good beer even if I was sitting in the dark, by myself, the experience is enhanced by any number of accessories: a bottle opener, a clean glass, and sports on TV, to name a few. Some enjoy beer goggles. I find that the best accessory is good friends, however, and I was pleased and humbled that you included me in your gathering at the Shopping Mall.