Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Portland's 2nd Best Happy Hour

My research of the Dogfish Bar and Grille was woefully inadequate. So I went back in. In the process, I discovered Portland's second best Happy Hour. On Tuesday, all the draft beer at Dogfish is two dollars.

In response to loyal reader Snoop Dog's "size matters" post, I confirmed that both the Monday and Tuesday beers are offered in U.S. Pint glasses (473 ML). In addition, since the bartender couldn't readily and definitively say that the Allagash Dubbel tulip glasses were a full pint, he attempted to pour one (using water, no beer was damaged in the name of science) into a pint glass. It overflowed, barely. I believe the Allagash tulip glass is 500 ML, but may need further research to completely verify.

After starting my research with the Dubbel, I strayed into a new beer (for me): Stoncoast Brewery's Alt Beer (or, Altbier, I guess, in the German tradition). As a fan of Alt Country music, I had high hopes for this beer. It is quite tasty but leans heavily on the malt, rather than hops, end of things. The effect is smooth rather than bitter, more Norah Jones than Lucinda Williams. It left me longing for bitter.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Kudos to you, and to the bartender at Dogfish, for thoroughness in the pursuit of truth. Since you've figured out how to embed youtube clips, here's a link to one you might find reason to use:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2nITwvi64s