Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Rant, Only Marginally Beer-Related

More of a whinge really, since life is too short to rant.

My mouth watering for frites, I braved the cold and arrived at Duckfat only to learn that they were closing (it was 7:55 PM). Duckfat is owned, as I understand it, by Rob Evans, a critically acclaimed and by all accounts brilliant chef. I just don't understand the thinking of being closed on Saturday night. It must be the latest gastronomical trend. I also don't understand why the majority of the seats in Duckfat face the wall, but that's a different topic, I suppose. The food is quite good there and I'll go back if I ever catch them open (rumor has it that the moon and stars are set to align soon).

A short walk to Benkay did the trick however. Ando-san (the ita-san) makes sure things are done right and my sushi was fresh and good and very reasonably priced. Another minor whinge though--no local beer on the menu. It was a good night for hot sake' anyway. The glow from the food and the heat from the sake' fortified me for my walk back up the hill.

While whingeing about local eats I had a promising meal turn to disappointment at One-Eyed Jacks. The fish tacos feature many fresh items and the portion is large but here's the catch: the fish is deep-fried and the tortilla is covered in catsup! What a horrible thing to do to any fish. My bad for straying from the pizza.

No comments: