Sunday, November 2, 2008

Size and Nutrition, again



Size

One of the challenging aspect of the 3 beer a day rule is the concept of size. Clearly, a dixie cup or thimble of beer is hardly a beer. By the same token, a full liter of beer, it could be argued, is more than one, even if it is served in a single glass.

Many beers come in 12 ounce, or 330-350 ML bottles. Since a minimum standard is a pint, these 3/4 beers are confusing. Also, since I always pour the bottle into a glass, and the inevitable evaporation occurs, commonly accepted rounding principles would mandate that it takes two of these 3/4 beers to equate to one beer, as prescribed by dietitian Rached. The formula for this is simple: 2 x (3/4) - evaporation = 1.49 beer; rounded to one. However, using a conservative approach, I would consider 5, rather than 6, of these beers to equate to my limit of three.

But our local genius brewer Pugsley takes all the guess work out of this: his signature series comes only in 22 ounce bottles. No need to round, or multiply fractions or anything else. A beer is a beer. I plan to sample my allotted three today. I'll report back after the taste test.



Nutrition

Dr. Denke believes that beer is a more beneficial alcoholic drink than spirits because beer contains many more nutrients per serving, such as protein and B-vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, cadmium and iron.

More details on this important topic can be found in the comprehensive and authoritative medical periodical, All About Beer.

Needless to say, the sharp drop-off in these critical minerals was the contributing factor to my current severe illness. On a positive note, the authorities now think I'm going to pull through.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I tasted Pugsley's Barleywine and Imperial Porter, along with Gritty's 21 IPA, Peak Organic's Espresso Stout, and a couple products from the Run of the Mill at the Brewer's Fest last Saturday afternoon.
They all were good, but the four-ounce thimblefulls and a lack of planning about progression made it hard for me to make truly tasteful judgments. Moving from a big IPA, for example to an Espresso Stout, or from a Scottish ale to Peak's maple product was not conducive to fair evaluation.
I think I have to try everything again, in larger quantities.
Espresso Stout seems like a good way to pick yourself up from those late-afternoon low biorhythms before an evening session with a heftier, bitterer brew.

Pete said...

Thanks, Jeff, that's awesome research. I'm behind, while I value your judgement highly it is imperative that I do some individual research.

See Condie Rice's pictoral feedback on the thible-sized beer glasses.

pete