Saturday, April 5, 2008

A Locavore Stumbles and Falls



I left for DC, and for Florida, with good intentions: sample the local fare, and report back. From a locavore perspective, I found the DC trip challenging and the Florida trip impossible. I faltered and rationalized but eventually stumbled again. Before I could get up, I fell. I hope to rise again.

The Best of the Travel Beers

In no particular order, I enjoyed:

1. Brooklyn Lager, consumed in the JFK airport. Very good.
2. Kelso of Brooklyn's Nut Brown Lager. Same location. Also very good.
3. Shipyard IPA. Portland International Jetport. A fine brew.
4. Sam Adams Boston Lager. Various locations. More on this later.
5. Capital City Brewing, the District Chophouse and Brewery, and the Big River Grille and Brewing Works. Various beers brewed on the premises. Competently brewed, tasty.
6. Dogfish Head: the 60, 90, and the Raison D'Etre. All fabulous. Brewed in Delaware, consumed in RFD by thye Verizon Center in DC.
7. Dubliner's Amber Ale, brewed in Virginia by Dominion.



Faltering

At both locations the primary intent of my visit was for purposes other than drinking local beer. Beyond that, I was with others: normal sorts who aren't obsessed with staying local with respect to beer drinking. This presented some minor conflicts. An example, free Sam Adams (out of local) versus a 10 minute walk ands a reach for the wallet for a Big River Pale. I struggled then faltered. I compromised. I gave in.

At first my infractions were minor. I accepted and drank a Kirin from Dan's wife Midori in DC. It would've been rude of me not to drink it. It was a thoughtful gift and Dan had been gracious enough to slow down and run with me. As a work responsibility I "hosted" a group for lunch in Epcot's Germany. I drank a German beer. I would've been derelict in my duty had I not quaffed the beer, and besides, I was in Germany, according to the folks at Disney.

But this was a slippery slope.

Help! I've fallen and I can't get up

On my second night in Florida, I attended a large group function. It was great fun. The night before, I had front-end loaded at the brewpub, then experimented with whiskey and tequila before settling on red wine as my drink of choice for the evening. I woke up with a headache and some bowel distress. Seeking medication, and with local beer unavailable, I drank Heineken. Cans. But I took my time and drank only 7 or 8--strictly medicinal--then took a bus back to the brewpub. I felt marginally better the next day. On my last night in Florida I was once again faced with the non-local or no beer decision. I again opted for the non-local. I drank PBR. I drank Yuengling. We changed locations. The party was raging. At the new location, my choices were limited to Bub Light and a strange, clear substance called water. I reached for the Bud Light and drank. The immediate and quite violent physical reaction was minor compared to the emotional and psychic damage. I had sold my soul. I was a wide-stance republican level hypocrite. I put the beer down and ran into the night. I have confessed. I await my punishment.

3 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

So Yuengling is not Chinese?

Pete said...

I had thought it was local (Florida), of Native American origin. Come to find out it is brewed in Pennsylvania. Who knew?

Jeff said...

I guess Pennsylvania is more than 100 miles from Fla. too. Who'da thunkit?
I told you Fla. would be locavore hell!