Monday, March 10, 2008

Catching Up on This and That

Gritty's Black Fly Stout is quite good. It compares favorably with the Shipyard Blue Fin reviewed earlier. The Black Fly is really dark, with hints of coffee flavor. It's smooth, and light in alcohol content (4.1%). It's a nice breakfast beer option. It costs (or did when I bought it) a buck more than the Shipyard--on that basis I'd opt for the Blue Fin. Of course, if price is no object, my recommendation is the Allagash Black.

Bonobo is a wood fired pizza place on Pine Street that offers delicious, and somewhat unique to Portland, pizza choices. The salads are good, too. The space is lovely, the prices reasonable. They also have an eclectic beer menu. But there's a problem: the only locavore eligible beer in the place is the dreadful Sunday River Pale (brewed by Stone Coast). Having had it before, I skipped it. Pizza and beer is a great combination. I opted for pizza and Spanish wine. Not bad, but where was the Geary's?

Bruno's is a restaurant and tavern out at Morrill's corner. We ate in the Tavern. There's a decent beer selection, I drank the Shipyard Brewer's choice. The prices change (go up) at 4:00--get there before then, enjoy sports on TV, and better food than is found at the sports bars in town (I know, that's like the smartest kid in the dumb row).

No comments: