Saturday, March 1, 2008

Black For Breakfast


Somewhat predictably, since it had been several hours since the last storm, we had a fairly significant overnight snowstorm that continued into the morning. I dug the car out and made my way to the gym only to discover that it was closed due to the storm. Since the workout was not going to happen I shifted my focus to breakfast.

Stout beers--think Guiness as the prototype--are dark, full-bodied and flavorful. They tend towards smokey flavors--coffee and toast (slightly burnt) come to mind. Malt, grain, oatmeal (and some stouts literally include oatmeal) are other flavors I associate with stouts. To me, stout is a breakfast beer.

Generally, and somewhat counter intuitively, stouts are fairly low in alcohol content. Guiness, the standard-bearer, weighs in at a Bud Light-level 4.2% ABV. To start my breakfast off right, however, I cheated, and drank a bottle of Allagash Black. Delicious! Coffee and toast and grain and malt--healthfood, really, and 7.5% ABV that kicks the day off right. It's a wonderful beer from my favorite brewery (have I outed myself before with this revelation?) but, in fairness, it's $12 per 750 ML bottle. Not cheap. I had a brief moment of panic when the cork broke off cleanly in my hand as I was opening the bottle. But using skill, determination, athleticism, and a versatile corkscrew, I was able to open the bottle.

Next up: Shipyard's Blue Fin Stout. It's great, and very reasonable at $3 per 22 ounce bottle. This is a beer notable for its smokiness. I'd drink the Allagash Black anytime, this one seems wrong for most occasions. But on a stormy winter day, it works.

I bought two other beers for my stout sample. Gritty's Black Fly Stout and Black Bear Brewing's Deamon Stout. I mapquested the Black Bear when I got home and discovered that Orono was 137 miles from Portland. Locavore ineligible! A disaster averted only by loyal reader Sam's offer to dispose of the beer. I'll need to report back on the Black Fly. I'm full (stouts are filling) and sated and ready for a post-breakfast nap.

No comments: