Monday, August 4, 2008

What Would Ghandi Do?



I've continued my non-violent protest. I stood in front of the beer cooler at the former Fat Baxter, now a branch of the Rosemont grocery, for a long time. Then I reached out. I could've bought a smutty, or a white, or a pale, or a summer. All local. But I wanted a hopped up IPA, and they had one. It's brewed in Baltimore, though. But until the locals react to me, and the thousands of other drinkers like me, who demand a flavorful IPAS, I'll continue my protest. I have a dream that one day I'll be able to walk across the street or down the hill and drink the beer of my choice. Until then, I'll continue my protest. I'll walk to Baltimore or Delaware if necessary. I'll walk across this great land, to the mighty Pacific Northwest, if necessary. But I will not give in to fascists and the bigots who refuse to brew the beer we want. The beer we deserve, dammit. I will protest peacefully and effectively by drinking my beer of choice.

The beer I drank--Clipper City Brewing's Loose Cannon Hop3 Ale--is very good. It meets the hops test, and has a nice base line balance that rounds out the flavor. It's a bit sweeter than is ideal but the initial hops bitterness rules the day. Despite the sweet finish it remains crisp and clean.

The packaging is a bit confusing. It seems to have 3 names but I guess the "Heavy Seas" thing is a bit of a tag line. The art and labelling is somewhat childlike but don't be fooled, this is a sophisticated, adult beer.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I can't help thinking you're like the opposite of a NIMBY; you're an "I want what I want in my backyard," a WwIWIMBY!
Do I take you to task for betraying your earlier principled stand? Do I feel guilt for trying to convince you to go with "Guidelines" vs. "Rules"?
No! I look back in admiration at your journey of self-discovery documented in this blog, and hoist the hoppiest brew I can lay my hands on in tribute.