Monday, August 11, 2008

Missed It By That Much

I went to the RSVP in search of Barleywine. I didn't find any (although it was not an exhaustive search). I did, however, come away with a locally brewed super IPA. Could Stonecoast's 1260 be the beer I've been looking for?

There were two immediate challenges with the 1260 as my everyday beer of choice: 1)Stonecoast is rumored to be phasing out of the bottled beer business. The brew pub at Sunday River will continue but not their brewing and distribution operations, as I understand it; and, 2) the beer weighs in at a hefty $12.99 per 750ml bottle. Ouch!

The final challenge is the taste--it's just not the beer I'm looking for. It's incredibly flavorful and full-bodied but it's malty and earthy as much as it is hoppy. It tastes a bit like a Geary's HSA on steroids, and the HSA doesn't need performance enhancers.

I have one more bottle to sample. I'll write more if I feel a need to re-assess after drinking a second bottle with different expectations.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Pete,

The brewery closing is not a rumor. Sadly, its Portland facility shut down last month. I too have heard that the Sunday River operation is going to stay open as a brewpub now.

-JB

Danish Dame said...

Ak Pete , JEG hitte en artig bajer er altid en hyggelig "perfomance enhancer". Lave jer indvillige?

Pete said...

That's sad news, Jason. Upon reflection, I quite like the 1260, even if it's not the beer I'm looking for.

+++++++++++++++++

You are quite right, DD, there's no need of performance enhancements in anything. I hope things are well with you in Copenhagen.

Jeff said...

I saw a bottle of Barleywine at the City Market in Burlington on Friday, but I didn't bring it home, since it would be out of Locavore once I got it here. I also picked up some other info I hope to share with you, perhaps inspiring a Locavorian pilgrimage to Burlington.
See you soon.