Saturday, December 13, 2008

Yellow Snow





So I almost made it. I had a couple of fresh rolls, some nice greens, a tomato, and some red sauce in my hands. I didn't need, or even want, anything else. I was secure in my knowledge that I had HSA waiting at home. I set my goods down on the checkout counter at the Rosemont Hilltop market and glanced just slightly to my left. And there it was: yellow snow.

Was this fair? They have candy-free checkout counters in the grocery store. Why was this bottle of beer--the latest IPA from a marvelous, world class wrong Portland based brewer--placed right in front of me, as if it were a temptation from the gods. I thought long and hard, difficult thoughts about inner strength and self discipline. A full nano-second after this lengthy and thoughtful meditation I moved the bottle from its tempting display to my pile of goods. And I bought it. And I have now drunk it.

Occasionally, I haved stretched the concept of local in my 2008 locavorian purity. In fact, I have suffered a suspension order as a result of a regrettable spring transgression. Here I offer no rationale other than this: it was there, and I drank it.

And it is terrific: a beautiful beer, cloudy yet crisp, with hints of fruitiness all captured in an overwhelming bitterness--wonderful bitterness--that screams American IPA. It's fabulous.

In a few short weeks I will transition from 2008's pure beer locavore to a locavore-friendly 2009 beer consumer. I consider this a step towards that transition and acknowledge that I have jumped the gun a bit. I await the ruling from the governing bodies

2 comments:

TokyoRacer said...

I am trying to decide if Yellow Snow is a great name for a beer...or not.

Pete said...

Yes, TR, bad name; great beer!