Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Pure Locavore Heaven



I indulged in the perfect locavore meal: Gritty's marvelous 21 IPA as a warming up beer. It's great, wonderful hoppy flavor, crisp and clean yet sophisicated enough at the finish to leave me with a bit of a headscratching "what is that flavor?" question. A question that demands another to solve the riddle. But because I have tremendous will power I moved on and poured myself a glass of Geary's Wee Heavy. A very different beer. Full-bodied, full flavored, an adult beer made to stand up to the main course: lobster!

With locally grown salad fixins and freshly baked rolls from the Hilltop Rosemont market, my free-range feast was almost complete. Another Wee Heavy washed down the last little bit of tomalley smeared roll. The switch back to the 21 IPA as a palate cleanser was perhaps unnecessary but I drank it anyway. And enjoyed every bit of it.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

I had some of that Wee Heavy a couple weeks ago, with a friend of Sottish, er, Scottish heritage. He seemed to like it, but I wasn't crazy about it (We did share an enthusiasm for the Maclellands).
The 21 IPA I think I tasted at the Brewers' Festival, but that is not an atmosphere conducive to proper appreciation; it can do no more than indicate avenues for more extensive research. I'm a little leery of the potential party atmosphere of 12/21, and I have several conflicting engagements on 12/20, but I'm inspired to consider stopping down to Gritty's for a taste on 12/19.

Pete said...

Let's try to coordinate on the 19th, we'll toast the season!

Jeff said...

Sounds good! I'll get in touch more directly soon.