Saturday, June 14, 2008

Meanwhile, Back to Beer

When one is a committed locavore, temptations abound: The sophisticated Europeans, the sexy Scandinavians, the festive Mexicans, the cultured cluster of Canadians, the cheap Chinese, and, of course, the free-spirited left coasters. The granola crunching Vermonters are off limits. Even the real stuff from Bar Harbor is out of local. I paced the bar and ogled the stock. Three times. And then I sat down and ordered a 420 IPA. I sipped it, deeply. I ordered again. An Allagesh Dubbel this time. Again the sipping. Twice this time--I'd slowed down--before setting my empty glass down. A calmness returned. My third and final beer, another Dubbel, went down smooth and easy. I'd gone in to the belly of the beast, Portland's newest beer bar, Prost! International Tap Room, and survived with local morals and ethics intact.

3 comments:

China Chick said...

I much sorry that you think China beer cheap. I not like your blog anymore. I go visit the other internets from now on.

Stephen Lacey said...

Wow, Mr Locavore, you are really attracting a better class of commenter around here these days. I wonder if Miss Chick would like to come for a visit to Japan one day. I'd be happy to show her the sights around Dogenzaka Ue (right hand side). I hope she is not just a figment of the internets.

Jeff said...

BTW, digging the Spenser allusion.